2014 “La Ville et La Campagne”

Town and Country Tour

Millionaires’ Row • Vallamont •  Grampian •  Cogan Station •

Saturday, November 22

10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Download the 2014 Brochure here.      Download the 2014 Map here. 

The Historic Terraces “1895”

6b The Terraces821 Fifth Avenue

Sponsor:  JB Gibbons Construction LLC
Owner:  Lawrence Lee & AnnMarie Huber
Chair:  Gail Zimmerman
Florist:  Snyder’s Nursery, Kent & Cindy Snyder

“The Terraces,” a large Victorian shingled home, was built in 1895 for Williamsport lawyer and entrepreneur, Howard Taylor Janney, and his new wife, Laura Good Hill. The entire property is leveled into terraces thus, the name. This home features 3 fireplaces each unique and made completely of firebricks from Howard Janney’s Refractory in Clearfield, PA. Beautiful stained glass windows adorn the living room as do the original wall sconces, while a large Palladian pattern window draws attention to the front of this home.


Greystone

4 Heister Linn Greystone820 Vallamont Drive

Sponsor:  R. S. Alberts Company
Owner:  Dr. Heister Linn
Chair:  Linda & Doyne Chartrau
Florist:  Special Occasion Florals, Karen Ruhl
This spacious 22-room stone mansion was originally built in 1890 by architects Eber Culver and son, Newton for Charles R. Harris. Destroyed by fire in 1893 the home was rebuilt in 1902 by owner Allen Putnum Perley, a local lawyer and lumber baron. The Perley family resided here until the mid 1930’s.


The Grand Tour House

5 Ann Kline The Grand Tour1501 Locust Street

Sponsor: Cloud 9, Franco’s Lounge, Joanna’s Italian Bakery
Owner: Ann Stevens Kline
Chair: Kathy Schick

Florist: Nevill’s Flowers, Rosemary Holmes
This 22 room, 1913 late Victorian home was initially built as a double home for two unmarried LL Stearns daughters, Emily Lyon Stearns born in 1889 and Rachael Hayes Stearns born in 1885. It was converted into a single family dwelling in the late 1960’s. The current owner, originally from Williamsport, has traveled extensively and has decorated her home with her worldly collection. Throughout the home you will find 7 vintage Christmas trees on display ranging from Chinese ornaments in the Chinese formal dining room to a red mylar tree with golden decorations.


Fair Oaks House

14 Fair Oaks House325 Grampian Blvd

Sponsor:  Albert and Judith Styrcula
Owner:  Lycoming College
Chair:  Amy Dowling
Florist:  Lady Di’s Floral & Garden Art, Diane Franklin
In 1938, this fine stone mansion was built for State Senator John G. Snowden which he named “Fair Oaks.” In the late 1950s, Lycoming College acquired “Fair Oaks” at auction and since then it has been the sole home for the first families of the College. The house features two fireplaces, five bedrooms, four and a half baths, and a small elevator. There is a large front porch with inlaid tile, a second small porch near the kitchen and a sleeping porch. Currently, President Kent Trachte and his wife, Dr. Sharon Trachte, reside at Fair Oaks. They frequently host campus and community gatherings and display alumni and student artwork on the first floor.


Les Mis á la Rina

16 Rina Plocinski House400 Grampian Blvd

Sponsor:  Weichert Realtors Premier
Owner:  Rina Plocinski & Lee Viard
Chair:  Heidi Lindsay
Florist:  Neville’s Flowers, Rosemary Holmes
Built in 1939, this is a Flemish Bond brick English Tudor style home with original chestnut floors and fireplace. The entire property has recently undergone a complete remodel and expansion. While the original shutters remain, the brick exterior has been re-pointed and a new side patio added which emits an old world charm as influenced by
the current owner’s Italian heritage.


James V. Brown Library

JVB Library19 East Fourth Street

The James V. Brown Library was a gift to the city of Williamsport from James Vanduzee Brown, a prominent citizen who made his fortune in lumber and grain mills, and was instrumental in the founding of theWilliamsport MunicipalWater Authority. The Library was designed by Edgar V. Seeler, and opened to the public on June 18, 1907. Entering through the Fourth Street foyer, visitors encounter the marble statues of Ruth and Beatrice Portinari which were part of Brown’s personal collection. The magnificent Moltz Rotunda Reading Room is part of the original structure and contains the stained glass dome skylight and recently installed wrought iron gazebo.


Moon & Raven Public House Restaurant

17 Moon & Raven155 West Fourth Street

Restaurant Owner: Gary Shaw & Chip Roush
Bldg Owner: Matt Schauer
Chair: Heidi Lindsay
Built in 1897, it was once the “Lumberman’s National Bank.” Inside you will find elements brought back from a time gone-by such as the stained-glass adorning the windows and the original light fixtures hanging from the authentic plaster ceilings with surrounding dental molding. Re-purposed materials run throughout this inspiring space including the lanterns above the wooden bar which are made from real fire extinguishers. Adjacent to the Public House, visit the hallway that is floor to ceiling original mirrored glass. The hallway features photographer Richard Karp’s captivating photos of the homes on tour plus his other fine works.


The Historic Genetti Hotel

10 Genetti200 West Fourth Street

The Genetti Hotel was originally named the Lycoming Hotel. On the opening day at noon, June 21, 1922, Edgar Munson, representing the Board of Directors, raised a large American flag to the flagpole on the roof 192 feet above West Fourth Street. The Genetti Hotel’s elegant atmosphere has attracted many notable guests. Among the celebrity guests were Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth, Carl Sandburg, and Bob Dylan. Victorian Christmas tourists are welcome to walk through the historic hotel lobby and take-in the beautiful Christmas decorations.


Dr. Charles Hunt House

13a Dr. Charles Hunt House414 West Fourth Street
(Eagle Rock Winery)

Sponsor: Allison Crane & Rigging
Owner: Bennardi Sisters, LLC
Chair: Jessica Abernathy
Florist: Special Occasion Florals, Karen Ruhl
The Hunt house was built in 1890 in the Victorian period sub-style known as “Colonial Revival.” It is one of the earliest of this style to be built in the Historic District. The large scale floor plan and exterior ornamentation denote considerable monies were spent to create this fine dwelling. In 2006, the home was ravaged by fire and since restored by the current owners. There are 3-luxury apartments on the second and third floors while the main floor houses the Eagle Rock Winery and its art gallery. The basement has been reinvented as a wine cellar themed banquet/meeting room.


The Rowley House Museum

18 Rowley House707 West Fourth Street

Sponsor: Blaise Alexander Chevrolet Inc.
Owner: Preservation Williamsport
Chair:  Robert Kane, Museum Curator
Florist: Brandy By Design Ltd, Brandy Stetts
From an originality standpoint and condition, this circa 1888 home is one of the most significant Queen Anne Victorian Houses in Pennsylvania. This home was designed by Eber Culver and built on land purchased by Peter Herdic. Nothing was spared by multimillionaire Edwin A. Rowley from the elaborately carved staircases to the exterior wood friezes.


The Smith/Ulman Carriage House

19 The Woman's Club414 Walnut Street
(The Woman’s Club)

Sponsor: M. J. S. Arnold
Owner: The Woman’s Club
Chair: Mary Herzenberg
This charming two-story building began as an Italianate carriage house for the Smith-Ulman Mansion at 624 West Fourth Street. It was purchased and renovated in 1925 by the Woman’s Club of Williamsport and continues to serve as a gracious private clubhouse for this organization. Although completely renovated, the floor plan remains essentially the same.


YWCA

20 YWCA815 West Fourth Street

The YWCA provides the perfect backdrop for the Artisan Holiday Market, featuring a variety of hand-crafted works for purchase. The centerpiece of this 1928 Georgian Style building is the breath-taking rotunda. Griffins, gold-leaf and vibrant colors highlight this work of art commissioned and created by the late Marguerite Bierman. Notice the brass and marble touches throughout the building.


The Thomas Taber Museum

Thomas Taber Museum 2858 West Fourth Street
Lycoming County Historical Society

Visitors to the Lycoming County Historical Society will think they have entered a 19th century Paris salon when they visit the museum this year. An art show, The Best of B.E.A.L. (Bald Eagle Art League), will greet the visitor with works of some of the finest artists of the region. Our gallery features works by 19th century still life painter Severin Roesen, magazine illustrator Frances Tipton Hunter, and John Sloan. And what visit would be complete without viewing the LaRue Shempp Toy Train Collection.


“Au Provence”

(Off to the Country)

The Bloomingrove Dunkard Meeting House

9a Dunkard Meeting House297 Dunkard Church Road

Sponsor:  Price Optical
Owner:  Bloomingrove Historical Society
Chair:  Rev. LarryWaltz, President of the Blooming Grove Historical Society
This one room log meeting house with wide chinking, white shutters and metal roof was built in 1828 by the Dunkard community as a place of worship. The Dunkard settlement originated with eleven Pietist Germans who settled in Lycoming County on May 20, 1805.


Historic Barn with Horses in Pasture

12 Historic Barn Dunkard Church Rd422 Dunkard Church Road

Sponsor:  Price Optical
Owner:  Gail and Donald Hudson
The first floor of this Historic 1871 barn will be open for viewing. Please take a moment to venture into the barn.


Little-Van Ess Farm House

2a Little-Van Ess Farm House5105 State Route 973 East
Cogan Station

Sponsor: Lindsay & Hager PC
Owner: Beverly J. Van Ess
Chair: Ruth Grieco & Erin Cappelli
Florist: Janet’s Floral Creations, Janet Johns
This graciously planked Early American farmhouse, built in 1879, is located on 148 pastoral acres in Cogan Station. A long paved driveway lined with pristine white fencing accentuates the breathtaking setting. The home was purchased in 1958 by Dr. Robert G. Little, a local veterinarian, and is currently owned by his daughter, Beverly J. Van Ess. Original pine flooring runs throughout the main floor and upstairs hallways while the second floor bedrooms are of original oak. The front porch with large formal columns was added in the early 1960’s giving the home a Southern Plantation feel.


 Churches

First Baptist Church

380 West Fourth Street First Baptist Church

380 West Fourth Street, 10AM – 5 PM

This Romanesque church was designed and built by Eber Culver on land donated by Peter Herdic around 1860. After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1898. A new church was built in 1914. The mountain stone was quarried in this area. Take note of the beautiful Tiffany windows.
Sanctuary tours, a craft fair and food court will be available 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Christ Community Worship Center

Christ Community Worship Center436 West Fourth Street, 10AM – 5 PM

Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in North Central Pennsylvania. Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.
Musical presentations in the sanctuary, a craft fair upstairs and food court will be available 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Covenant Central Presbyterian Church

Covenant Central Presbyterian Church807 West Fourth Street, 1 PM – 5 PM

Built in 1906 in the Richardson Romanesque style, this stone building has thick window lintels, large semi-circular arched entries, and three doors with stained glass fanlights. There are many arched stained glass windows. The corner towers have conical red-tile roofs.


Trinity Episcopal Church

Trinity Episcopal 2844 West Fourth Street, 10AM – 4 PM

Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated both the land and the building to the parish. His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with a set ofWestminster chimes. The church is an example of English Gothic architecture and contains stone quarried locally from Bald Eagle Mountain.
A Victorian soup lunch will be served from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.


The Committee Wishes to
Pay Special Acknowledgement to:

• The Homeowners who shared their Homes
• Photographer – Richard Karp, rikkisan.com
• Brochure/Ticket Design – Sandra Norton Butters

Advertisements